2015 Wanda Chin Scholarship Recipients
Wanda Chin Professional Development Fund: Scholarship and Auctions
Since 1997, the Western Museums Association (WMA) Annual Meeting has featured a Silent Auction in the Exhibit Hall. Proceeds from the auction benefit the Wanda Chin Scholarship program, which helps fund participation and travel to the Annual Meeting by professionals who might otherwise not be able to attend. The Scholarship program is a vital component of the WMA mission.
Wanda Chin Scholarship
The 2016 Wanda Chin Scholarship application deadline is Friday, June 3rd, 2016. Download application form.
The Wanda Chin Professional Development Scholarship helps to fund travel and registration for Western Museums Association (WMA) members who meet the following qualifications:
- Student (Must be a current WMA Member and enrolled in a degree granting program)
- Incoming Professional (Must be a current WMA Member and have been in the museum field for 1-5 years)
- Mid-career professional (Must be a current WMA Member and have been in the museum field for 5+ years)
We encourage applications from members of diverse communities, and subscribe to EEO/Affirmative Action principles. This is a competitive process, and awards are based primarily on financial need. Scholarship awards are generally partial amounts requested in order to assist as many qualified applicants as possible; it is expected that the recipient or their institution will share some cost.
Donate to the Silent and Live Auctions
Providing scholarships is a vital component of the WMA’s mission—and we need your help! The WMA Annual Meeting features a Silent Auction in the Exhibit Hall and a spirited Live Auction during an Evening Event. Proceeds from the auctions directly fund the Wanda Chin Scholarship program, which helps to subsidize participation in the Annual Meeting for professionals who might otherwise not be able to attend.
- Please fill out the Wanda Chin Donation form
- Send the donation form to Communications and Program Coordinator, Kate Skelly
- Ship your donation to the Annual Meeting location no earlier than September 12, 2016, or simply bring the donation with you. Please note: WMA is not responsible for items shipped to the Annual Meeting location but not received.
Suggested donation items:
- Museum store items such as craft supplies, jewelry, books, videos, exhibition catalogues, etc.
- Consultants and businesses can offer to extend their services
- Artworks from private collections
- A vacation home stay
- Food or wine from your state
- Gift baskets that highlight a specific locale or exhibit
For more information, read the Official Call for Auction Items
Blog Posts by Previous Wanda Chin Award Recipients
- Museum Professionals Descend on Las Vegas: Reflections from a Wanda Chin Scholarship Recipient
- Taking Time to Listen: Museums Engaging Their Communities
- Leadership, Digital Engagement, and Education at the WMA Annual Meeting
- A Wealth of Knowledge
- Finding Common Ground in the Personal and Distinctive
- From Alaska to Utah: A Lifeline to the West
- (Re)learning to Listen
- People Get to Work in Museums?!: My Experiences at the WMA Annual Meeting
- When I Grow Up, I Want To Be a Museum Professional