ABOUT SONOMA VALLEY MUSEUM OF ART
Sonoma Valley Museum of Art (SVMA) is the largest visual arts organization in the San Francisco North Bay region. With a budget of $1.4 million, SVMA has approximately 800 members, a professional staff of 8, and a dedicated Board of Directors.
On the occasion of the Museum’s 20th anniversary, SVMA has just completed a new strategic plan and in 2018 will launch a multi-year fundraising campaign to fund the expansion of 4 key cultural and educational priorities. For more information on Sonoma Valley Museum of Art, please visit www.svma.org.
The Director of Development & Marketing is responsible for planning and managing all of the activities and initiatives associated with the private fundraising and marketing campaigns of SVMA. The position will also be responsible for directing the 20th Anniversary Campaign.
This position reports to the Executive Director. The Director of Development & Marketing is part of the senior management team and supervises a Development Manager and a grants consultant.
- Develop and implement a sustainable fundraising and 20th anniversary campaign strategy to grow private fundraising over the next 3 years in support of SVMA’s strategic plan, its priorities and the new financial model.
- Oversee and direct the annual fund, 20th anniversary campaign, membership program, corporate and foundation grants, government grants, planned giving and matching and in-kind donations.
- Oversee the creation of a new integrated database for membership and fundraising.
- Support and partner with the Executive Director and the Board of Directors in meeting all fundraising, 20th Anniversary, and membership goals.
- Manage and oversee the production of special events including the 20th Anniversary Event and the meetings of the Event Committee.
- Prepare agenda and materials for meetings of the Development Committee, the Finance Committee and the Board of Directors.
Marketing & Public Relations
- Develop and oversee the implementation of a marketing strategy and plan that supports the priorities and programs outlined in the strategic plan.
- Manage and direct messaging and communications including print, e-mail, and social media. Review and prepare all necessary collateral for fundraising and marketing programs.
- Develop and oversee the budget for the development department.
- Ensure Gift Acceptance policies are up to date and subscribe to industry best practices.
- Coordinate and oversee the execution of work plans for each development team member.
- Manage and support the development team to achieve their daily activities and strategic goals.
- An interest in and passion for the visual arts and the mission of SVMA; experience in an arts organization a plus and preferred.
- 5+ years of successful and demonstrated fundraising experience with increasing responsibility in all channels: (major gifts, corporate and private foundation grants; direct mail and digital fundraising; membership campaigns, special events, and planned giving); 3+ years of demonstrated marketing and public relations experience.
- Solid track record of securing five and six figure gifts from individuals, foundations, and corporations.
- Demonstrated experience with a capital campaign.
- Ability to work both as a team and independently; experience managing a small staff.
- Strategic, flexible and creative thinker.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Outstanding interpersonal and listening skills.
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail.
- Fluency with Microsoft Office Suite and database software programs.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced or graduate training such as CFRE preferred.
- Highly professional
To apply for this position, please send a copy of your resume with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 15, 2018. All applications and inquiries will receive a response and be kept strictly confidential. SVMA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.