UC San Diego
Filing Deadline: Wed 10/24/2018
Salary Range: $16.88 - $17.85 /hour
The Exhibits Technician (ET) ensures that all exhibits throughout the facility are always operational, clean, and functioning properly (with the exception of live animal exhibits). The ET maintains and repairs a wide variety of exhibits (interactive, mechanical, water-based, electronic, digital, A/V) and coordinates with other units as needed (Visitor Services, Education, Facilities, Husbandry, etc.).
The ET oversees exhibit maintenance student staff. The ET fabricates new exhibits (especially interactives) and coordinates this work with the Exhibits team. Advises design of interactive mechanical, electronic, and digital exhibits for optimal functionality and anticipated maintenance. Creates systems for conducting and tracking maintenance of exhibits. Procures supplies and materials for exhibit maintenance and repair. Helps manage the proper storage and collection of exhibit elements.
• Must be able to work occasional evenings and weekends and additional hours as needed.
• Two (2) years experience maintaining and fabricating exhibits in a museum, science center, or related industry.
• Demonstrated mechanical skills are required. Ability to repair and maintain exhibit inter-actives with mechanical and electrical components. Ability to fabricate exhibits with mechanical and electrical components.
• Familiarity with new technologies relevant to exhibits. Demonstrated ability to make recommendations for acquisition of new technologies for exhibits.
• Excellent research and analysis skills for exhibit materials, maintenance, repair, and fabrication.
• Proven ability to integrate various computer and audio/visual hardware and software for exhibits.
• Demonstrated ability to assign and direct activities of others, including student staff.
• Demonstrated experience working with contractors and vendors.
• Demonstrated ability to plan for routine maintenance of exhibits and components.
• Knowledge and experience in safe and proper use of hand and power tools.
• Ability to follow all safety precautions for equipment and procedures while working on the job.
• Knowledge and experience with Macintosh computers. Skilled in the use of relevant hardware and software.
• Experience producing specifications for and supervising contract services including exhibit fabrication, machinists, contractors, media production, etc.
• Commitment to a positive and productive work environment. Professional communication skills (verbal and written).
• Job offer is contingent upon a satisfactory clearance based on background check results.
• Must have a valid California driver's license.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html