The City of Mesa is a great place to work! In addition to competitive salaries, the City also has a generous amount of other benefits available. For more information, please see our website: http://mesaaz.gov/benefits/
Museum Collections Specialist - Part-Time, Benefited
($17.63 per hour)
A Museum Collections Specialist performs a variety of specialized assignments involving the care and documentation of a diverse collection of museum specimens. Duties may include the management of one or more subject areas of the collection.
The Museum Collections Specialist is Responsible for:
- Handling, preparing, installing, transporting, and storing specimens according to accepted museum principles
- Recording information concerning specimens and inventory
- Maintaining files
- Photographing the collections
- Monitoring expenses
- Maintaining collection storage areas
- Performing minor conservation of specimens
- May provide support for the Native American Graves Preservation and Repatriation Act (NAGPRA) process
- This class indexes, catalogs and numbers specimens, writes condition reports, performs data entry, scans photographs and enters them into the database, edits catalog information to summarize and standardize terminology, records information concerning specimens and inventory, and produces reports from a computerized database
- Assists with updating policies and procedures, training and supervising volunteers, working with donors and packing/unpacking loaned objects
- This class performs related duties as required
Distinguishing Features: The Museum Collections Specialist is supervised by a Museum Curator who reviews work through conferences, meetings, and results achieved.
This class is FLSA nonexempt.
Employee Values: All employees of the City of Mesa are expected to uphold and exhibit the City's shared employee values of Knowledge, Respect, and Integrity.
Minimum Qualifications Required:
- Any combination of training, education, and experience equivalent to graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's degree in Museum Studies, or in a field of study related to the Museum's collections such as: anthropology, paleontology or another relevant discipline of the social or natural sciences
- Good (1 - 3 years) museum collections experience
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Master's degree and experience working with museum collections databases
City of Mesa offers a competitive benefits package. A CITY OF MESA ONLINE APPLICATION IS REQUIRED. Applications available 02/09/18 and must apply by 02/15/18. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible as we will review applications as they are received. For complete job description, requirements and online application form, please visit our web site at: www.mesaaz.gov/jobs
City of Mesa is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.