Purpose: The Performance Science Educator engages directly with guests through our innovative stage, planetarium programs, hands-on workshops and with our exhibits to create a positive and memorable experience at Pacific Science Center.
Summary: Performance Science Educator creates a positive and memorable experience for guests through presenting engaging and interactive shows on the Live Science Stage and in the Willard Smith Planetarium and/or when teaching hands-on workshop experiences. The presenters also interpret exhibits and scientific concepts throughout the Science Center by creating opportunities for guest discovery and guiding the guest experience with discussion and exploration with the goal of inspiring a lifelong interest in science, math and technology.
Key Job Responsibilities:
- Present engaging, interactive and scientifically accurate live science shows, planetarium shows and/or hands-on workshop experiences.
- Set the tone for a positive guest experience: welcome each guest, determine if they would like any assistance, provide them information to guide their experience.
- Engage with guests on an individual level: inspire an interest in science and technology through discussion and interpretation of exhibits and through hands-on interactive activities. Ensure all content shared with guests is scientifically accurate.
- Value guests and make them feel important: take time to answer questions, guide exploration of activities and exhibits. Actively seek guest participation.
- Possess baseline content and interpretive competency: be able to interpret basic scientific concepts such as motion or DNA, as well as integrative and current science topics such as climate change or alternative energy.
- Deliver integrated, consistent experiences to guests
- Promote safety and security and protect assets
- Provide mentorship to incoming staff, Discovery Corps members and volunteers
- Staff exhibits for special events and facility rentals