Providing professional development for museum professionals since 1935.
The Western Museums Association (WMA) is a nonprofit, membership organization dedicated to serving museums, museum professionals, as well as the related organizations and individuals, by providing vision, enrichment, intellectual challenge, and a forum for communication and interaction. The WMA is primarily compromised of members across the Western states of Alaska, Arizona, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and international members from Mexico, British Columbia, and the Pacific Islands, among others.
The Western Museums Association provides opportunities for learning and personal interaction to enhance the creative skills and enrich the lives of individuals who do museum work.
The WMA is guided by the following Core Values to direct and sustain organizational efforts on behalf of constituents, and ultimately achieve the goals of the mission.
- Social Benefit: To support the work that museums do for their communities, while inspiring quality, innovative services to the public.
- Excellence: Challenge museums to strive for their best in the belief that they all have the potential to impact the lives of others.
- Leadership: To promote the professional development of all museum staff, volunteers, and trustees, while seeking to enhance their positive change and growth as all individuals have the potential to be leaders.
- Collegiality: To provide opportunities for individuals to connect and develop life-long relationships, as they create a community of colleagues who support each other’s institutional endeavors and personal well-being.
- Fun: Good humor facilitates learning and relationship building, and enjoyment in an association of colleagues helps build a community of talented, connected individuals who are energized about their profession.
- Trust: To respect one another and be confident in the integrity of our diverse museum community.
- Inclusion: To encourage differences of opinions, perspectives, and unfamiliar ideas, as they enrich the WMA.
- Sustainability: In seeking innovation, the WMA takes a measured and responsible approach to decisions and initiatives, with the appreciation that today’s actions affect the organization’s future success and vitality.
The WMA is a 501 (c)(3) tax-exempt organization, incorporated in the state of California. Tax ID# 23-7312905
For more information about the WMA, please contact our staff.