WMA Impact Award
The new WMA Impact Award will be presented at the Annual Meeting to a current mid-career museum professional who has a minimum of ten years’ experience in the field. The award recognizes an individual’s work on a specific project or program, efforts to bring about organizational change, or leadership within the community having a significant, positive effect on their museum, the surrounding community, or the museum field in the Western region. The award includes a $1,500 stipend to aid in the awardee’s continuing professional development. The awardee will address attendees during in a General Session and be featured in the conference program and on the WMA website.
2018 Inaugural Impact Award Recipient Ann Craig (center) with (L-R) Executive Director Jason B. Jones and Immediate Past President Lisa Sasaki
- Nominee should have a minimum of ten years in a museum or museum-related field and be currently active in the profession.
- Nominee can be working in any museum discipline: administration, collections management, community engagement, curatorial, development, editorial, education, exhibitions, human resources, marketing/public relations, museum studies, etc.
- Nominee must be available to attend the Annual Meeting to receive the award.
Criteria - the selection of the WMA Impact Award recipient is based on the following criteria:
- Developed or implemented an innovative project, program, or exhibition that creatively addressed an issue or subject matter and has had a positive impact on members of a community and/or the public at large.
- Shows a commitment to fostering open and respectful discussion among colleagues and members of a community and/or the public to help create a more inclusive and just society.
- Maintains a high standard of excellence and demonstrates exemplary initiative, dedication and leadership.
- Promotes the cultural importance of museums through their work.
Nominations can be submitted by a museum professional at any level, but individuals cannot self-nominate.
(Current staff and trustees of the Western Museum Association are not eligible for nomination)
The 2018 WMA Impact Award application deadline was July 20, 2018. Please check back for details about WMA 2019.
Please contact WMA at (707) 433-4701 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information, questions, or comments about the Impact Award.
Initial funding for the IMPACT AWARD is being provided by the Volver Trust