Oakland Museum of California
Req No 2017-1208
Type Regular Full-Time
Closing Date ..
Targeted Job Start Date 8/15/2017
The Oakland Museum of California values are fundamental to our institutional culture and guide our work together.
Excellence: We are committed to excellence and working at the highest standards of integrity and professionalism.
Community: We believe everyone should feel welcome and part of our community, both within the Museum and with our visitors and neighbors.
Innovation: We embrace innovation and calculated risk-taking to achieve our mission.
Commitment: Our work at the Museum demonstrates a sense of purpose and a shared accountability for the institution's success.
The Associate Director of Security oversees the safety and security of the Museum and its property. The position provides oversight and maintenance of all museum security systems, including contract guards, alarms, surveillance, and access. The position is responsible for emergency preparedness procedures and response including Injury and Illness Protection and Business Continuity planning. The position will ensure that all security and life safety systems are up to the highest industry standards.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following reflects OMCA's definition of essential functions for this position, but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. OMCA may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
- Support the Museum's mission, values, vision, and core commitment to the visitor experience, community engagement, and institutional relevancy for the future
- Contribute to and support the OMCA strategic plan, annual priorities, and institutional initiatives such as diversity advancement
- Contribute to a positive organizational culture based on mutual respect, a spirit of collegiality, cooperation, and openness to many perspectives
- Participate in a culture of ongoing learning, collaboration, innovation, creativity, and community engagement
POSITION DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- In conjunction with security vendor leadership, coordinate and supervise performance and scheduling of security personnel for daily operations and events
- Oversee, improve, and monitor mechanical and electronic access to all areas of Museum at three museum facilities
- Maintain and improve camera surveillance and recording systems
- Implement and maintain emergency preparedness and life safety measures, including evacuation routines and first response training
- Maintain and improve intrusion and fire alarm systems. Oversee security equipment and systems inventory, condition and distribution
- Maintain fire extinguisher condition/location and First Aid supplies in accordance with OSHA standards
- Communicate museum security and safety policies, provide training, and conduct regular safety inspections
- Serve as primary day-to-day liaison to contract service providers to ensure contracts are being fulfilled in a timely and satisfactory manner
- Lead institutional cross functional staff led security and safety teams
- Ensure storage and disposal of hazardous materials meets OSHA requirements
- Other duties as required
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
A combination of experience and education that demonstrates possession of the necessary knowledge and abilities for this position is required as noted:
- High School diploma, GED or equivalent required
- AA or BA in relevant field preferred (i.e. Facilities Management)
- 5-7 years related experience, preferably in a museum
- Security and access control systems and applications
- Alarm systems
- Life safety procedures
- OSHA requirements (IIPP, BCP)
- MS Office and Google Tools
- Scheduling software
- Basic business/accounting practices and budget analysis
- Customer service, delegation, and de-escalation techniques
- Teamwork and conflict resolution skills
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently exposed to the following:
- Noise, such as groups of people working in enclosed areas
- Typical office environment
- Ability to lift up to 35 pounds
The Oakland Museum of California is a multicultural organization, committed to diversity and practicing equal opportunity employment in recruitment and hiring. Qualified candidates of diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply for open positions.