- Takes a lead role in implementing and refining the Skirball’s social media strategy, working closely with the Senior Communications Manager and the Vice President, Communications and Marketing.
- Proposes, schedules, sources or creates, and publishes social media content on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram in accordance with the department’s strategic goals and best practices for each platform. Creatively communicates and translates institutional mission, values, and content as appropriate to social media. Partners cross-departmentally in order to identify engaging content that represents the institution best.
- Engages diligently and proactively with social media followers, including serving customer service needs. Manages Skirball review site accounts.
- Monitors social media metrics and analyzes performance of published content. Experiments with new platforms as opportunities emerge and stays current with social media trends.
- Provides support to Marketing Manager on paid social media campaigns, including influencer marketing.
- Plans and executes a variety of email marketing communications. Assists in analyzing email campaign effectiveness.
- Supports the Senior Communications Manager in preparing content for skirball.org. Identifies opportunities to enhance the website and its associated ticketing site to help drive sales, boost fundraising, and serve customer service needs.
- Copywrites, copyedits, fact-checks, proofreads, and participates generally in producing print and digital materials as part of a collaborative staff that includes colleagues working in marketing and design. Projects may include flyers, brochures, event signage, radio spots, pre-program slideshows, and menus.
- Adheres to and helps to evolve the guidelines for Skirball house style, as well as key messages of the institution.
- Assists in photography and videography shoots as needed. Helps to maintain digital asset database.
- Serves as a key brand steward of the Skirball Cultural Center, in keeping with its mission and values.
- Bachelor’s degree and 3–5 years of experience in the field of communications and marketing, preferably in a museum, cultural organization, performing arts, educational, or other nonprofit setting
- Dedicated experience in managing social media accounts and growing the social media audience base for a professional organization. Must demonstrate potential for developing and adapting content for Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram—both textual and visual—that deepens audience engagement while maintaining the brand and voice of the institution.
- Experience using social media scheduling, monitoring, and engagement tools, e.g., Hootsuite, Facebook Live. Ability to analyze and report on social media performance metrics.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends, in order to cover Skirball events on social media
- Familiarity with various communications and marketing concepts and processes, including advertising, media relations, email marketing, and community relations.
- Exceptional skills, track record, and interest in performing editorial functions, including copywriting, copyediting, fact-checking, giving and receiving editorial feedback, and proofreading, preferably in an arts communications and marketing setting. Proficiency in Chicago Manual of Style standards. Writing experience must demonstrate superior ability to adapt the written voice to suit social media platforms and target audiences.
- Superior visual storytelling skills and sensibilities and familiarity with digital photo processing. Experience shooting and editing video for social media a plus.
- Excellent Microsoft Office and PC skills required. Knowledge of and experience with content management systems (preferably Drupal), MailChimp, SurveyMonkey, and Adobe Creative Suite also required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with a sincere commitment to developing productive relationships, both within and beyond the institution. Ability to thrive in in a busy, multisensory, and highly collaborative work environment.
- Positive, energetic, cooperative, can-do attitude. Self-starter approach to completing projects, as well as improving processes and procedures.
- Knowledge of Jewish history and culture and/or ability to speak Spanish are a plus
- A keen appreciation and understanding of the Skirball Cultural Center mission. Ability and willingness to perform all duties in accordance with this mission.
Please send a cover letter and resume, preferably by email, to the address below. Please also submit writing samples (PDFs or a link to an online portfolio are acceptable) that reveal your ability to communicate with diverse audiences in a variety of formats, including social media. Finalists will be required to take a skills test.
Re: Communications and Social Media Associate
Skirball Cultural Center
2701 N. Sepulveda Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90049
FAX: (310) 440-4595